This is wonderful over pannéed veal, or over fried, broiled or grilled fish or just about anything you can think of.
Make a blond roux with 4 tablespoons of the oil and the 4 tablespoons flour.
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 cup onion, chopped
- 1 stalk celery, chopped
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper, small dice
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper, small dice
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups crab stock or fish stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon Creole seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon Tabasco
- Salt to taste
- 1 pound lump crabmeat
- 2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
In a medium saucepan, heat the remaining oil over medium heat and sauté the onion, celery and bell pepper for one minute. Add garlic and sauté for one minute. Be careful not to burn the garlic.
Add the stock, wine, Creole seasoning, paprika, Tabasco and salt. Whisk in the roux and cook until the sauce thickens, about 3 minutes. Add the crabmeat, green onion and parsley. Simmer for 1 minute, and keep warm.
YIELD: 8 servings.
sauces | creole and cajun recipe page
the gumbo pages | search this site
Chuck Taggart (e-mail chuck)