Why do I do this to myself? I have enough trouble trying to keep this site up to date!
Well, 'cause I think there's a need. I want to help promote these concerts and events as much as possible, because I think they're important. 'Nuff said.
One organization I think you need to know about is the
California Traditional Music Society.
They've worked tirelessly (and with a tiny budget) for years to support traditional music and dance of all kinds in southern California, and have done a bang-up job. Their primary regular event is the Summer Solstice Traditional Music and Dance Festival, usually held every June on the campus of Soka University near Calabasas. They've had a hard time this year, and had to cancel this year's festival to reorganize, find a new director and get things ready for the 1998 Festival.
Help them! Donate! Donations are fully tax-deductible, and extremely helpful to the CTMS. Send your donation to CTMS, 4401 Trancas Place, Tarzana, CA 91356-5399. (818) 342-7664.
Now, as for the events ... I'll try to keep this as updated as I can. If you have anything to add to the calendar, please email me. Here's what we've got so far:
UPCOMING CONCERTS AND EVENTS
in chronological order
- Altan, Sunday, August 23, at the Neighborhood Church, Pasadena. 7:30pm.
- One of the finest traditional Irish bands working today, and a must-see!
- Capercaillie, Thursday, September 24, at the Performing Arts Center, CSU Northridge.
- Alastair Fraser and Skyedance, Friday, October 30 at the Performing Arts Center, CSU Northridge.
- Dougie Maclean, Friday, November 6, at the Neighborhood Church, Pasadena.
- Dervish, Friday, December 11, at the Performing Arts Center, CSU Northridge.
- Phil Cunningham and Aly Bain, Saturday, January 30, at the Neighborhood Church, Pasadena.
- Anam, Friday, March 12, at the Neighborhood Church, Pasadena.
- Battlefield Band, Saturday, April 10, at the Performing Arts Center, CSU Northridge.
REGULAR and SEMI-REGULAR EVENTS
- The Acoustic Music Series runs concerts at the Neighborhood Church, 301 N. Orange Grove Ave. in Pasadena, and in a newly added, larger venue at the Performing Arts Center at California State University Northridge. If you're not on the Acoustic Music Series mailing list and want to be, contact Ron Stockfleth at (626) 303-7014, or send an email to email@example.com.
- CRAIC: The California Regional Arts Institute of California
- Their monthly cruinniú, or gathering, features Irish language, dancing and culture workshops, a potluck and sessions of Irish traditional music. Call (310) 726-3974 for more information.
- The Santa Monica Traditional Folk Music Club
- The SMTFMC meet on the first Saturday of every month, for a potluck, singalong and musical jam session. Bring a friend, an instrument, a song, or at least yourself.
Meetings at Sha'Arei Am (Santa Monica Synagogue) at 1448 18th Street, Santa Monica at 7:30pm. For details and other information call (310) 376-8760.
- Shape Note Singing
- For those of you interested in shape note singing, there are two monthly shape note sings held in the Los Angeles area:
Eagle Rock, first Sunday of the month, from 3:30-6:00pm. Regular attendance is usually between 10 and 20 singers, with larger attendances during the quarterly potlucks in September, December, March, and June. Contact Stephen and Mary Rose O'Leary, (213) 254-7707, e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org
Mar Vista, third Saturday of the month, 3:30-6:00pm, at the home of Susan and Paul Turpin. For information call (310) 390-4165.
Both groups sing from the 1991 revised edition of The Sacred Harp.
OTHER CALENDARS AND LISTINGS OF EVENTS
- Global Los Angeles and The L.A. World Music Calendar
- In Tune: Southern California Bluegrass News
- with radio/television guide (including "Down Home"!) and calendar of events
[Go to the Southern California Survival Guide]
[Go to The Gumbo Pages' Home Page] [Search The Gumbo Pages]
Chuck Taggart (e-mail chuck)