Chuck's non-commercial and roots-music radio page
I am a strong believer in non-commercial and community radio. The FM spectrum to the right of 92 MHz (the part allocated to commercial radio) is, to me, a vast wasteland (at least in the United States). The must interesting, stimulating and intelligent radio is found in this country on the left side of the dial, that which is allocated to non-commercial, community, college and public radio stations.
I myself am a music programmer and DJ at public radio station KCSN in Northridge, California (in northern Los Angeles), and have been working in public radio since 1988. Below is the home page for my roots-music radio program "Down Home", and a platform for exploring non-commercial radio (especially roots-music radio) in North America and beyond. Future projects for this page include seeking out and finding more links to more non-commercial and community radio resources outside North America.
For the best roots music site on the Web, check out Cliff Furnald's ROOTSWORLD.
Thanks for tuning in!
A few killer radio shows (if I do say so myself)
- DOWN HOME
- My new radio program on KCSN 88.5 FM, Northridge/Los Angeles, featuring regional folk, roots and traditional music of the Americas and beyond.
- The archived page about my former roots and traditional music radio program on KCRW, which I hope to revive in some nebulous webcasting format in the not-too-distant future as a virtual radio program. Currently for L.A. public radio history buffs only. :^)
Chuck's recommended new album releases, Updated August 2000.
- Steve Gardner's program of old-time and bluegrass music, on WXDU in Durham, North Carolina. I'm tickled to death to host his site here amidst The Gumbo Pages!
More noteworthy roots-music radio shows (in beta-alphical order)
- WEST COAST LIVE
- San Francisco's radio show to the world (of public radio, at least). Syndicated, and featuring folk and roots music.
- VIRTUAL PLANET 3
- Cliff Furnald's mind-bogglingly varied and untitled roots- and world-music program on WPKN, 89.5 FM in New Haven, Connecticut.
- Denmark's only nationwide world music radio program.
- THE THISTLE AND SHAMROCK
- Fiona Ritchie's wildly popular program of music from Ireland, Scotland and the other Celtic lands, syndicated throughout the United States via National Public Radio.
- RURAL FREE DELIVERY
- John Lupton's one-stop primer in old-time, bluegrass, traditional/early/neo-traditionalist country, Western swing, etc. Broadcast from the University of Delaware in Newark, on WVUD, 91.3 FM.
- A PRAIRIE HOME COMPANION
- from Minnesota Public Radio. Not only do you get Garrison Keillor's monologues and the "News from Lake Wobegon" on this show, but lots of live performances by great folk and roots musicians too.
- n Melbourne, Australia. Listings of their worldwide music programmes.
- The Half Door
- Monday nights from 8 to 10pm on Galway Bay FM, 95.8 and 96.8 FM, Ireland. Bringing you the best in traditional and folk music and song, from Ireland and the world.
- GLOBAL VILLAGE
- A truly eclectic international music program, heard weekdays from 10:00am to 1:00pm on KPFK, 90.7 FM, Los Angeles.
- Roz and Howard Larman bring you THE folk music radio program in Los Angeles, as they've done since 1970 (!), currently on KPIG. Live performances almost weekly.
- CONTINENTAL DRIFT
- Visit the Driftweb, the accompanying website of this marvelous radio program in Chicago. Joe Germuska, Ted Whalen and the rest of the Drift DJs take you on a journey through roots and folk music from around the world.
- The Non-Commercial Radio List
- The Web's most comprehensive and detailed listing of non-commercial stations throughout North America and the world, with special sections on The Greater Los Angeles Area and New Orleans, Louisiana
- Radio Source
- A non-profit news portal site. Programming is contributed by universities around the country (currently over one dozen states are posting). You can search for audio files by state or topic, and download or stream on demand.
- RadioFree Press
- Formerly the Radio Resistor's Bulletin, featuring articles and discussion non-commercial community radio worldwide, recently expanded to include issues of broadcast and Internet free speech.
- "Your online home to the roots music scene"
- National Public Radio's Home Page.
- Public Radio International's Home Page.
the gumbo pages' home page | search this site
Chuck Taggart (e-mail chuck)