Whether you want to find out what's happening in the city or you want to keep in touch from afar, here are a list of publications that'll help you:
- The New Orleans Times-Picayune
- The one and only local daily newspaper has an essential insert each Friday called "Lagniappe" (pronounced LAN-yap, and it means "a little something extra") which contains club, concert and entertainment listings for the week, including film, theatre, music and restaurant reviews. Check out the T-P's new web site at the above link.
- New Orleans' "alternative weekly", Gambit is a free weekly paper available at newsstands and dispensers citywide. Good entertainment listings, and the very best Jazzfest guide every year. Available via subscription for $52 from 4141 Bienville St., New Orleans LA 70119. Subscriptions take at least two weeks to arrive, and are for archival purposes, as the club listings will be out of date. But! There's now an online edition; check the link above.
- The Tulane Hullaballoo
- Tulane University's award-winning student newspaper.
- Offbeat is a Louisiana music magazine, the successor to the now-defunct Wavelength. Complete club listings for the month, articles on the entire New Orleans and Louisiana music scenes, from Cajun to rap, with articles, interviews, etc. Essential. Available free from most record shops, or by subscription: Offbeat, 333 St. Charles Avenue, Suite 614, New Orleans LA 70130. (504) 522-5533. Fax (504) 522-1159. Domestic third class subscriptions $22/year. First class subscriptions in U.S., Canada and Mexico $35/year (essential if you want the club listings on time at the first of the month). Or, you can get the club listings online.
- New Orleans Magazine
- This magazine has undergone some recent overhauls, including a new look, new columns about sports and music, and the usual cultural and political coverage we've come to expect, and terrific coverage of the local restaurant scene. Subscriptions $24/year, to 111 Veterans Blvd., Suite 1810, Metairie LA 70005. (504) 831-3731.
- Louisiana Life
- Now quarterly, this magazine looks at life throughout the state: culture, music, food, agriculture, politics. Subscriptions $16/year, to P. O. Box 308, Metairie LA 70004. (800) 834-9698.
new orleans page | the gumbo pages
search this site
Chuck Taggart (e-mail chuck)