This was sent in by a couple of Gumbo Pages readers, Paul & Francine Keusenkothen. Francine says it was her mom's recipe, and that this recipe produces a lemon ice with a wonderful consistency. This is pretty similar to the marvelous lemon ice from the legendary Italian gelato emporium back home in New Orleans, Angelo Brocato's, on Carollton in Mid-City.
1. Soften gelatin in cold water.
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 2 cups fine granulated sugar
- 4 cups boiling water
- 3/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2 egg whites
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 3/4 t salt
2. Dissolve sugar in boiling water. Boil 5 minutes.
3. Cool mixture then add lemon juice and rind.
4. Freeze in mixer bowl until sides solid and middle slushy (about 1 hour). Remove from freezer. Beat until fluffy. Or process in ice cream maker until semi-frozen.
5. Beat egg whites until soft peaks form; add remaining 2 T sugar and beat until peaks are stiff. Fold in lemon mixture.
6. Freeze 3 hours or overnight (or process in ice cream maker until proper consistency).
creole and cajun recipe page | the gumbo pages
search this site
Chuck Taggart email chuck (at) gumbopages (dot) com